Sunday, November 7, 2010

Saving Money & Time - DIY Professional Hair & Body

I admit, I am a HUGE fan of pampering. You name it, I will try it. I love getting manicures, pedicures, spray tans, cuts, colours, foils, facials... I mean, who doesn't?!

But of course, with mothering, comes the "Letting Go" phases... Sometimes, its incidental things, like giving up your acrylic nails because you just can't seem to get nappy poop smell off your cuticles, no matter how hard you try. Or spray tanning, because your breast feeding daughter's mouth looks like she has been kissing Doritos.

But as you let go of one thing here, one thing there... it's not long before you feel like a crumpled old sandwich wrapper (and you possibly look like one too, from the No-Iron periods!) and feel the need to get out there and Glamourize yourself!

In saying this, it costs a lot of money to get all this pampering done. And I am not one for wastage or negligent money spending! So I have compiled for you, my fellow Glammamummas, ways to be both gorgeous AND thrifty... without looking like you have snipped your hair with a bowl on your head!

  • HAIR
Of course, we have all tried to Home Dye. Some have succeeded. Many have failed. But myself, I find sometimes I prefer my home-dyed tresses compared to the hairdresser's. I have been home dyeing LONG before children came along, and although I have no formal hairdressing qualifications, I have been successfully going from black to blonde, to red, to pink, to chestnut and more, with few issues. There are some tricks you need to know to be truly Home dye confident.

ALWAYS pick a shade to suit YOU - not a shade that looks good on the skin tone of the model on the box. You can do this PROFESSIONALLY... FOR FREE!!! How??? Many hair salons offer free consultations. You will need to book, and you will need to be equally strong willed. Hairdressers are trained in sales technique just as much as they are in hairdressing! Not only will you get free professional colourist advice, but your free consult can even inspire you a new cut that you hadn't considered.

A professional consult will usually involve discussing your hair type (straight, curly, etc), your face shape, your skin tone, your natural hair colour, your personal style and lifestyle. I visited a wonderful hairdresser who had awards and nominations as a National champion of cutting and colour, and possibly an upcoming International award winner. With her help, I discovered what shades suit me, what to steer clear from and which cuts are best for my face shape and lifestyle. She managed to wrangle an appointment time out of me for the following week (which I am sorry... I cancelled the next day! But you will soon see why)... she was planning a fabulous rich chocolate colour and razored bob. It sounded great and seemed to be just what I needed. It was quoted to be over $250 for a shampoo, colour, treatment, cut, blowdry & a small take-home sample. My husband would kill me!!!

Armed with all the information that she had given me, the following day, I headed to the nearest Priceline and stocked up. A rich chocolate hair dye packet was $12. A TUB of professional-quality, protein enhanced treatment was $32. Some finishing spray for $4.

Then I went to a local lady who hairdressed from home (she is a professional... but a Stay-At-Home Mum running her own salon business)... she charged $18 for the same style cut that I had discussed at the other salon. It looked great! I went home with my wet hair, applied my dye, read a book... popped in the treatment and folded my washing... finally, after rinsing it out I set my blowdryer and straightening tongs to it. VOILA!

When my husband came home, he promptly admired my new look... although having seen the quote in my handbag for $250 looked a little bit bemused and worried... When I told him that all up, I had only spent $66.. AND that the treatment and the spray could be used again, meaning my next cut & dye would only be $30... he was more than impressed!

And the money saved meant I could get a new pair of shoes next time I was out shopping!

Next Post... Body.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home