Saturday, September 26, 2009

Relaxing is Busy Work!





About 2 weeks ago, my husband and I decided we needed to take the kids camping... before we had children, we didn't flinch at the idea of nothing more than a tent, a pair of swimmers and a few beers to get us through a weekend. But like all things in life, this changes when kids are involved.

Now initially, I was hesitant... I have not only become accustomed to my own bed and toilet, but that packing to go camping with a 5 year old and a 3 year old (and a man-child!) requires the tactical skill and preparation climbers of Everest would apply to a summit ascent. Tent. Swimmers. Spf 30+. Insect Repellant. Wind up LED torches. Changes of underwear. Sanitary gel. Cutlery. Breakfast Cereals. You get the idea. And every time you remember one thing, you realise you better add another...

So with the car packed to the hilt, we took off to one of Australia's most beautiful spots, the Whitsundays, to stay at Airlie Beach. Ok, ok, I will admit... we cheated a little. We stayed at the wonderfully fitted-out Big4 Adventure Whitsunday: We'd stayed there before (in their Deluxe Cabins) and the facilities were fantastic. So frankly, the only part I could say that we were "roughing it" was by sleeping in a tent!

It was brilliant! No TV, no radio, just the stars, eachother's company, the bare necessities and a kilo bag of fresh prawns for lunch by the pool!

We visited the wonderful Airlie markets, but apart from that, we spent most of our weekend lazing about the pool, jumping together on the jumping pillow, putt putt golf and BBQs.

The kids loved the novelty of sleeping in a tent, I enjoyed the simplicity of it all and my husband enjoyed the manliness of it all (Saying "I took the wife and kids camping" sounds more masculine than "we stayed at a day spa" ROFL!) and I actually look forward to the next time we get to do it!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home