Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My FIRST official Re-Fashion!

I officially signed up to Wardrobe Refashion for a 6 month pledge of not buying any new clothing, rather refashioning what I already have on hand or from Op-shop buys.

6 month pledge

Having worked so many years in Fashion Retail, I have seen first hand how subtly fashion recycles itself - not often completely, but in a newer updated way: We're currently seeing a "Grunge Revival"and I remember vividly the original grunge look de-jour: Flanny shirt, Kurt Cobain or Soundgarden tee, ripped jeans, crochet skull cap and Doc Marten's boots. We've recently seen a sway to romanticism in lacy old vintage dresses and cute tan leather belts. Even New Wave Punk was re-injected this season with a modern twist on everything from hair to leather-ette leggings and Debbie-Harry-esque Animal print (one of my all-time loves!)...


Thanks to fashionistas like the Olsen twins, Ruby Rose and Agyness Deyn putting together amazing outfits with Op-shop finds, combined with the current global financial climate and an awareness of the impact of clothing production on the environment... Recycled Chic is back!


So today, I donned my (recycled!) seamstress hat and refashioned an old, sunshine-yellow, baby-doll style cotton dobby camisole of mine that no longer fit (or flattered!) into a cute little sundress (complete with vintage bow!) for my daughter! The result was GORGEOUS... but what was more fantastic was the pride I felt that I had created something so adorable and wearable for my daughter out of something I would have otherwise discarded.


It is just the outlet I have been searching for - a chance to recreate stylish items for myself and my family while decluttering at the same time! I have saved over $30 in creating a new dress for my daughter rather than buying one and I have rekindled my confidence!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home