Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year, New Me...

A funny thing happens at New Years... seeing as my birthday rolls around the same time, I often forget about the whole resolution idea and continue to do all the naughty things I always do anyway...

But this year was different. Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Maybe because I'm a mum and I realise I need to grow up and get my act together. It could have something to do with the fact that for the first time in 2 years, my husband is here to celebrate with me and help me out with my grand plans.

You see, this year, I made goals. Not only for the year, but for my life and myself as a person - to become a better one.

I know they're achievable. If I lay the foundations.

It's quite simple really. This year, I want to find balance, peace, happiness, clarity and success. In all aspects of my life. I want to have a sort of Zen-like calmness happening.

I'm getting there... maybe it's the enthusiasm talking, but it's only day 3 of 2009 and I have so far co-ordinated all of my required subjects for 1st semester to co-incide with my childcare arrangements. I have relegated 2 days I can officially work that are also in line with my childcare requirements as well.

This morning I had an epiphany - the realisation that my best friend, who is due to have her baby around the time I am due to return to Uni will be able to watch my kids, should the need arise (in return I will provide care for her little one when needed).

I am practising good time management and doing things immediately, rather than procrastinating. I am taking matters into my own hands and blaming nobody but myself if things don't get done.

I have remerchandised my wardrobe to be sleek, co-ordinated and organised: Cleaning and gardening clothes together, Fitness clothing together, sleepwear, swimwear, daywear, evening.

I am budgeting and strictly adhering to lists, menus and schedules.

But in all this, I am allowing myself to live on a whim for my children. All this organising in the background, while they sleep or are at Kindy or School, means that when I am with them and they have one of their childish desires: to go for a swim, ride bikes, walk the dogs, play cricket in the yard... I can literally drop everything and say "YES!" and do it knowing life will go on around our fun for the moment.

I need to work on the saving money side of things... always my sorest point. I try. Boy do I try. It's not that I buy expensive things everywhere either - it's just that like my husband says, I find bargains - but I find too many of them.

But as my organisational skills improve and my procrastinating ways dissolve, I will utilise Ebay, Trading Post and Freecycle to rid myself of the unnecessary clutter, make some cash and feel more balanced and worthwhile.

Here's to a New Year. May 2009 be the year I see clearly, love deeply and create magic.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home