Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Felt Food - How to make it!

I have officially dusted off my sewing machine now, and have recently been whipping up Felt Food for my little Miss!!! Being your typical 4-year old girl, she loves nothing more than having picnics, teaparties and feeding her "babies". So rather than offer her (messy) real food, I needed an alternative. And unfortunately, plastic-store bought food is not cheap!

So I discovered (or should I say, rediscovered, from my childhood!), FELT FOOD! It looked amazing when I saw some recently on Etsy... and I thought it couldn't be too hard! So I purchased a range of craft felt from Spotlight and set to work!

I simply made a circle template from a plate and cut it into quarters, cutting two sheets of beige felt to make the base. I machine stiched the base, then cut a small slice into one side to fold the felt inside out and stuffed with flat batting. Then from a smaller diametre version of the template, cut some red felt with a "dollopy" look to make the sauce. I hand stiched the sauce to the base to cover up the restiching of the base from the revering/stuffing earlier.

The toppings I just freehand stiched on the machine to make capsicum, cheese, olives and pepperoni.

The great thing with the pizza toppings is that she can "make" her own pizzas! The base/tomato sauce is stiched on, but everything else is loose, so she can add or remove toppings as she pleases!


My second felt food effort was a donut!

Similarly, I used beige felt and made a small round template. I machine stiched the circle then cut a small nick into one side to reverse the felt and stuff it with flat batting.
Then I cut a peice of pink felt and hand stiched the little seed beads onto it. Then I hand stiched the pink felt onto the beige base. Voila!

I am always on the lookout for more ideas, and here at One Crafty Place they have an awesome Felt Food Tutorial Round Up! I am stocking up on felt as we speak!

 Bottom line is though... my daughter LOVES them, and I am quite taken by them too! They are so cute and fun to play with... and I have the added pleasure of seeing something I created being loved and used!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home